The year 2019 marks the 125th anniversary of the founding of the Federal Research Center the N.I. Vavilov All-Russian Institute of Plant Genetic Resources (VIR) that traces its history to the Bureau of Applied Botany established under the Scientific Committee of the Ministry of Agriculture and State Property of the Russian Empire. Since its founding, the Bureau has been performing the role of the leading center for wide-scale multidisciplinary research of the cultivated flora of the country that constitutes the object of applied botany.
To discuss a wide range of topical problems and prospects for the development of applied botany in Russia and in the world, in order to solve global problems of improving crop quality and productivity and involve new crops in economy, as well as in order to realize priorities of the Strategy for Scientific and Technological Development of the Russian Federation, ensure food and technological security of Russia and its individual regions, and reach the objectives of imports substitution, VIR is holding an International Conference entitled “125 years of applied botany in Russia” that will cover the following topics:
- Applied botany: a look into the future.
Unrealized opportunities, new tasks, approaches and technologies in the study and use of plant genetic resources; the effectiveness of the use when implementing projects of the strategy of scientific and technological development of Russia; a resource for expanding the genetic diversity of cultivated plants; neodomestication, introduction; new methods in taxonomic studies; reproduction, morphogenesis and adaptability of cultivated plants.
- Mobilization and conservation of plant genetic resources.
Plant genetic diversity conservation: in situ and ex situ strategies; new methods and technologies; problems of genetic stability, aging and quality control; development of methodological and practical aspects of plant genetic resources mobilization; agrobiodiversity conservation.
- Studies of the global plant resources genetic diversity.
Postgenomic technologies; genetic potential of productivity; quality, adaptability; the use of ‘omics technologies.
- Fundamental and applied aspects of modern plant breeding.
Breeding of the future: potential vectors of development, priorities, methods and modern breeding technologies for ensuring food, technological and environmental safety; genetic, botanical and geographical bases of breeding; innovative competitive varieties.
- Researchers of the VIR global genetic collection: N.I. Vavilov predecessors, associates and followers.
History of the VIR system; little-known facts about the life and scientific activities of N.I. Vavilov, his closest associates and followers.
- The role of genetic resources of wheat, triticale and their wild relatives in the strategy of breeding and ensuring food security of the Russian Federation. – Dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the birth of Acad. V.F. Dorofeyev.
The main trends in wheat and triticale breeding, distant hybridization as a basis of genetic expansion of wheat biodiversity.
- Bioinformatics technologies in applied botany – Dedicated to the 130th anniversary of the birth of E.N. Sinskaya.
Modern bioinformational methods in the development of the ideas of E.N. Sinskaya on the theory of higher plant populations, “in-series variability”, phytoecology, biogeography, systematics and phylogeny of cultivated plants and their relatives.
* In case of questions or corrections needed please write to the Conference organizing committee to email@example.com
Elena K. Khlestkina, Dr. Sci. (Biol.), Prof. RAS, Acting Director, VIR, Russia, Chairman;
Margarita A. Vishnyakova, Dr. Sci. (Biol.), Prof., Chief Researcher, Head, Grain Legume Crops Genetic Resources Department, VIR, Russia, Co-сhairman;
Aleksey A. Zavarzin, Ph.D. (Biol.), Ass. Prof., Vice Director, VIR, Russia, Vice chairman;
Yuliya V. Ukhatova, Acting Scientific Secretary; Head, Vegetatively Propagated Crops Sanitation Laboratory, VIR, Russia;
Evgeny V. Zuev, Leading Researcher, Head, Wheat Genetic Resources Department, VIR, Russia;
Igor G. Loskutov, Chief Researcher, Head, Oat, Rye and Barley Genetic Resources Department, VIR, Russia;
Elena V. Rogozina, Leading Researcher, Head, Potato Genetic Resources Department, VIR, Russia;
Anna M. Artemyeva, Leading Researcher, Head, Vegetable and Cucurbit Crops Genetic Resources Department, VIR, Russia;
Tatjana A. Gavrilenko, Chief Researcher, Head, Biotechnology Department, VIR, Russia;
Evgeny E. Radchenko, Chief Researcher, Head, Genetics Department, VIR, Russia;
Galina I. Filipenko, Leading Researcher, Head, Plant Genetic Resources Long-Term Conservation Laboratory, VIR, Russia;
Elena K. Potokina, Chief Researcher, Head, Plant Genetic Erosion Monitoring Laboratory, VIR, Russia;
Tatyana M. Ozerskaya, Senior Researcher, Introductions Department, VIR, Russia;
Natalia P. Loskutova, Leading Expert, Projects Supervision Department, VIR, Russia;
Nadezhda N. Chikida, Leading Researcher, Wheat Genetic Resources Department, VIR, Russia;
Irina V. Kotelkina, Head, Library and Publishing Department, VIR, Russia;
Larisa V. Bagmet, Leading Researcher, Agrobotany and Plant Genetic Resources In Situ Conservation Department, VIR, Russia;
Irena G., Chukhina, Leading Researcher, Agrobotany and Plant Genetic Resources In Situ Conservation Department, VIR, Russia;
Liliya Yu. Shipilina, Senior Researcher, Agrobotany and Plant Genetic Resources In Situ Conservation Department, VIR, Russia;
Alexander A. Lenshin, Leading Expert, Projects Supervision Department, VIR, Russia
Elena Khlestkina, Professor, acting director of VIR, Professor of the Russian Academy of Sciences, chair;
- Alexey Zavarzin deputy director of VIR, Russia, deputy chair
- Angela Asaturova, acting Director of the all-Russian research Institute of biological plant protection
- Olga Afanasenko, head of the laboratory of plant immunity to diseases all-Russian research Institute of plant protection
- Galina Batalova, deputy director for breeding work of the N. V. Rudnitsky Zonal research Institute of agriculture of the North-East.
- Andreas Borner, head of the plant genetics and reproduction research group, Leibniz Institute for plant genetics and crop research, Gatersleben, Vice President, EUCARPIA
- Lyudmila Bespalova, national grain center named after Lukyanenko
- Philip Gannibal, director of the all-Russian research Institute of plant protection
- Stanislav Grib, deputy chairman of the Belarusian society of geneticists and breeders
- Axel Diederichsen, curator of national plant genetic banks, Canadian department of Agriculture and Food
- Yevgeny Egorov, director of the North Caucasus Federal research center for horticulture, viticulture and winemaking
- Gennady Eremin , VIR Crimean experimental breeding station
- Ilya Zakharov-Gezekhus, N. I. Vavilov Institute of General genetics, Chairman of the N. I. Vavilov heritage Commission
- Andrey Izmailov, director of the Federal reserch Agroengineering center VIM
- Sergey Inge-Vechtomov, Professor Emeritus, St. Petersburg state University
- Gennady Karlov, director of the all-Russian research Institute of agricultural biotechnology
- Nikolay Kolchanov, scientific leader of the Institute of Cytology and genetics RAS
- Eduard Kolchinsky, head of the sector of history of evolutionary theory and ecology of the St. Petersburg branch of The Vavilov Institute of history of natural science and technology of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Viktor Korzun, head of global programs at KWS SAAT SE
- Vladimir Kosolapov, director of the W. R. Williams all-Russian Institute of feed.
- Elena Kochieva, Professor, Department of biotechnology, Moscow state University. M. V. Lomonosov
- Stéphane Crozat, CRBA-Centre de Ressources de Botanique Appliquée
- Alexander Kudryavtsev, director of the N. I. Vavilov Institute of General genetics.
- Ivan Kulikov, director of the all-Russian selection and technological Institute of horticulture and nursery
- Yuri Lachuga, academician secretary of the division of agricultural sciences of RAS
- Vyacheslav Lukomets, acting director of the V. S. Pustovoit all-Russian research Institute of oilseeds
- Lyudmila Lutova, Professor, Department of genetics and biotechnology, faculty of biology, St. Petersburg state University
- Sergey Medvedev, head of the Department of plant physiology and biochemistry, faculty of biology, St. Petersburg state University
- Alexey Morgunov, international research center for improvement of wheat and maize (CIMMYT, Ankara)
- Hafiz Muminjanov, agricultural Specialist on sustainable intensification of crop production. (FAO-Rome)
- Yuri Plugatar, Director, Nikitsky Botanical garden-national scientific center of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
- Rashal Isaak, President of the Latvian society of geneticists and breeders, associate Professor and head of the laboratory of plant genetics of The Institute of biology of the University of Latvia
- Alexander Rodionov, head of the laboratory of biosystematics and Cytology of the V. L. Komarov Botanical Institute.
- Alexander Romanenko, director of the P. P. Lukyanenko National Grain Center.
- Alexey Ryndin, director of the all-Russian research Institute of floriculture and subtropical crops
- Valentina Sinegovskaya, all-Russian research Institute of soya
- Konstantin Skriabin, scientific director of FITZ Biotechnology RAS
- Alexey Soldatenko, director of the Federal scientific center of vegetables
- Vladimir Sotchenko, chief researcher of the all-Russian corn research Institute
- Yuri Stolpovsky, head of the laboratory of comparative animal genetics, N. I. Vavilov Institute of General genetics.
- Ivan Suprun, leading researcher, all-Russian research Institute of rice
- Nikolay Surin, head of the integrated breeding center of the Krasnoyarsk research Institute of agriculture
- Igor Tikhonovich, Dean of the biological faculty of St. Petersburg state University, scientific Director of the research Institute of agricultural Microbiology
- Peter Kharchenko, scientific Director of the all-Russian research Institute of agricultural biotechnology
- Ivan Shamrov, head of the Department of botany of the A. I. Herzen Russian state pedagogical University, leading researcher at the Komarov Botanical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Financial support to the Conference is provided by the Russian fund for basic research, Russian ministry of science and higher education, Government of St.Petersburg, business partners – Helicon, EcoNiva Seeds.
The order of participation in the conference
Within the framework of the conference plenary, sectional and poster presentations are planned.
Conference working languages are Russian and English.
Those wishing to participate in the conference should send an application form and abstracts of reports before 01.10.2019 by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Questionnaires and abstracts sent after this date will not be considered.
The conference program, the number and topics of the sections will be formed on the basis of the declared reports. Each participant can submit only one report (possibly participating in another report as a co-author).
Each author accepts no more than one abstract as the first author and no more than one abstract as a co-author. Abstracts will be published in the author’s edition, in this regard, the authors are responsible for the accuracy and content of the submitted material. The conference organizing committee reserves the right to select sent abstracts. Abstracts will be published in electronic form to the beginning of the conference.
The registration fee for participation in the conference is 23 000 rubles. Participants from state institutions of Russia and the CIS countries can pay the reduced fee.
We will be grateful for the constructive suggestions and suggestions that contribute to the preparation and successful holding of the conference.